Friday, January 22, 2010

As Iron Sharpens Iron : Building Strong Relationships

In this stage of my life it is good to know who I can depend on. We all need people in our lives, because we can't run around living like we are solitary unto ourselves. Things we choose to do have reactions or consequences, depending on how you choose to view it. There are several very important relationships that a person needs to have. The reason for this being is because "Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." (pro 27:17 esv) To some this verse may be confusing to me it is encouraging, it tells me that I need someone who is going to be wiling to get in my face and tell me the truth even when it could be difficult. We all need a Nathan. Just in case some of you don't know or don't remember Nathan, here is a refresher (2 Sam 12:1-15) David has just had Uriah moved to the frontlines of war so that he could cover up his adultery with Bathsheba and the evidence thereby concieved. Nathan comes in with athourity from the Lord and rebukes David for his sin and tells him "Thus says the Lord, ‘Behold, I will raise up evil against you out of your own house. And I will take your wives before your eyes and give them to your neighbor, and he shall lie with your wives in the sight of this sun." (2 Sa 12:11 ESV). So how many of us have a Nathan who will lovingly but strongly tell us of our sin? My next question then becomes do you really want one who will confront you or do you want to be allowed to live anyone and still think you are pleasing to God?

Then someone as important if not more so is Jonathan, this is a friend who was said to love David "
he loved him as his own soul" (1 Sam 18:3). I don't know about you but there certainly aren't very many people in my life that would come close to that kind of remark. (1 Sam 18:1-4) is a great depiction of how much dedication these men would have, we often say we would give someone the shirts off of our back, Jonathan actually did and much more. As life progressed and David found more favor with the people Saul became jealous and began attempting to take to his life. So David ran, and while running Jonathan brought him food and intelligence. Jonathan knew that David was destined to be king & willingly handed his rights over to his friend. Do you have many people in your life who would give up their birthright for you, how about take care of you when someone else is out to destroy you.

The best friend a person could have in all the world is the God/man Jesus Christ. He tells us "Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command you." (Jn 15:13-14 ESV). And layed his life down he did he chose to die for all of us who follow him. Like my pastor Ruffin Alphin said several Christmas Eve's ago " Jesus Christ is the only man who ever lived that chose to die." As effect of the fall we are all set to die, but Jesus and he alone was able to make the choice to die. Being fully God and fully man he never had to die seeing as how he could bring the dead back to life. As a gift giver liking to show those whom I love my affection through gifts Christ out shines me even in my greatest attempt. Here is a man who not only did not have to die, but chose to he also chose humilitaion and shame to go with it, while we as a people mocked him. " For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God."
(2 Co 5:21 ESV) He is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. (pro 18:24)

So I challenge all who read this to become to someone you know and value to pray about the role you would play in thier life, will you be Nathan or Jonathan? There is only one Jesus Christ, and no matter what role you are in someones life never be affraid to tell them about Him. (luke 9:26)

Live Long, Pray Hard, Die Well!

No comments:

Post a Comment