Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Exercise Your Faith

“…For we walk by faith, not by sight.” (2 Corinthians 5:7 ESV)

I pretty sure that we can all agree that it is much easier to do things when we have the ability to see. However, that is not how faith usually works. I guess that this is where the phrase blind faith may come from, but in reality while we may not be able to see the outcome of the situation our faith is not based on the outcome, it is placed in a powerful God who rules and reigns sovereignly.

The first person that comes to mind when I think of this so called “blind-faith” is Abraham. God called him and told him and his family to leave what they knew to go to place He would show them. That takes some serious faith, there is no way Abraham could have trusted the place he was to go because he had no idea where he was to end up so the object of his faith had to be God himself.

Right now for me personally I have no other option than to walk by faith, because everything that I see tells me I have no way out and I will never make a better way for my family. But I trust in God and His word that he has a plan for me and my family and while I may not see where that plan falls into line I have an infinite God who has the best in store for my life. I may not become rich and famous (not sure that I want that anyway). I trust that he will continue to provide. The author of Hebrews does an excellent job emphasizing how we should go about in our faith. He says, “Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.” (Hebrews 12:1-2 ESV)

While those verses are packed with so much, I want to take the time to focus on one specific area. It reads as such, “…and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith….” When we run the race set before us we cannot be worried about the person next to us and the way that they are running because it will shift us off course. We are to be looking to Jesus who is the author (founder in ESV) and perfecter of our faith. He allows us to grow, through our troubles, the person next to us.

Take time today to focus on Jesus so that he will guide you on your race, teaching you how to live in your faith even when you don’t see the way out.

Live Long, Pray Hard, Die Well!

No comments:

Post a Comment