Saturday, November 30, 2013

Review of A Call to Resurgence by Mark Driscoll

            Let me start by saying I am usually a huge fan of Mark Driscoll especially of his theology. When I heard he had a new book coming out I could not wait to get my hands on a copy. Like anything else he has written this is a meaty book weighing in at 250 pages of actual material and then another 60 pages or so for the appendices. The book is broken up into seven chapters and two appendixes. In the first chapter Driscoll explains how we no longer live in a world ruled by Christian values and how Christendom as we know it has DIED. To make his point of how Christianity has lost its pull in this country in particular he says, “When evangelicals can’t even land a token appearance at an event orchestrated to reflect the various facets of American society, it’s clear that Christian clout has reached its expiration date and been pulled off the shelf.” (Driscoll,7) He also points out our failure to proselytize, “the percentage of Christian converts is not keeping pace with our growing population as unbelief overtakes Christianity.”(page 22.)

            Deep into chapter two he has a chart that describes the different “tribes”. It is rather informative and let me know that I am all over the map with several exceptions being that I don’t fall in to the Charismatic Pentecostal category. Most of the rest of the book almost feels like a rehash of some of his previous work. So as long as you are  a fan of Driscoll you will find something to like, if you are not there are still something’s you can take away from the material. So if you can get a copy of the book check it out and take the time to process it, if you own most of Driscoll’s other works you may not be missing out on much new information here. I was given a copy of this book in exchange for my fair and honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment