Friday, December 5, 2014

What's In a Name?

 Have you ever stopped to think about what is in a name? It is more than just a group of letters put together to make a certain collection of sounds. It tells people who you are. When people hear your name they make certain assumptions about you from either what they have heard or from personally knowing you. Did you know that when you come to Christ all that changes?

We first see God changing the name of one who has encountered him in the instance of Jacob becoming Israel (Gen 35:10). We also have several accounts in the NT where people had contact with Jesus and they were no longer called by the same name that they previously were. For instance we have Simon called Peter, and Saul was changed to Paul. We are able to accept these new names because we have been given a new nature.(2 Cor 5:17) This does not mean we will not struggle with things of the flesh, but what it does mean is we don’t have to let it win. In the book of Romans, Paul recounts the thoughts of him battling against sin and losing but it was no longer him desiring to do it but the sin that dwelled within him.(Rom 7:15-20). When we look at Peter he was originally a fisherman, but Christ told him to follow him and he would become a fisher of men!(Mark 1:17)


The same has rang true in my life as well. In high school I went by the nickname of Casper. I was the only white guy in the group of black people. However, since coming to know Christ I have ditched that name in exchange for either my given name or Preach. Because like Paul and Peter I have a new nature in side of me and I no longer do the things I used to do. I have gone from being a thug to going to seminary to preach God’s Word. God can do the same thing for you as he has done for tons of people.
Will you accept what Christ wants to do for you? Will you allow him to change you and give you a new name?

No comments:

Post a Comment